Fresh off of Earth X Origins, we decided to keep the foot on the gas for the July TOTM. Turn on the red lights and let the best of the worst of Dice Masters go head to head!
For those that are unfamiliar with the TOTM, here is what you need to know:
- You will be given specific parameters for a Team Build for the given month.
- A “fun play night” will be set when people will be welcome to gather and play their Teams themselves for the competition.
This competition will be open worldwide, and anyone is welcome to join. The submission deadline for this month will be 11:00 PM Mountain Time on July 10, 2020. Submissions should be filled out on the TOTM Team Submission Form. This is not a hard deadline, but the more notice I have, the better I can get things set up.
Here is the challenge for July 2020:
Back in October of last year, our very own Reg and CR Gameroom’s Mike created a 12 Team Tournament called The Death Race. It pitted the absolute most brutal Teams in Dice Masters against each other to see who was the most brutal Team. If you would like to check out their original series, check it out below.
This is something that I have toyed around with for a TOTM themed event, and now seems as good of a time as any. Let me present to you…
What is this?
This is a no holds barred competition. You will have exactly 5 turns to do the most damage you can to your Opponent. This means you need to get to business fast and will want to bring all of the tools to get to your win condition quickly. It doesn’t necessarily matter if you KO your Opponent and win, because the damage will factor into things here. Even if they “die” they will still get the full 5 turns to do what they can to you.
We will be looking at damage output per turn as the metric here. If you managed to do a total of 50 damage to your Opponent over the 5 turns, you would score 10 DPT (damage per turn) for that round. All damage counts here. When you damage yourself (or take life loss), your Opponent is scoring points. Take that into consideration with your builds. The first person to hit 20 damage will of course score some extra points on the match (seeing as they technically “won” a regular Dice Masters game).
If you don’t know what to build for this Event, check out the videos on YouTube and bring one of the Teams that were part of the Tournament. We already know they work well.
Everything is fair game in this one. You will be able to build from the full selection of Golden Cards. The following officially banned cards will be not be allowed for this Format:
- Relentless: Basic Action Card (UXM)
- Swords of Revealing Light: Basic Action Card (YGO)
- Imprisoned: Basic Action Card (UXM)
- Beholder: Master Abberation (BFF)
- Ring of Magnetism: Action Attraction (YGO)
In addition to the official bans, we are adding a couple other combos to the list. You cannot play these combos, but you can use the individual cards on other Team Builds.
- The Infinite Giganta Combo is banned from this Event
Also, as the spirit of this event is to punch face hard… we are discouraging the use of control cards. Please avoid the use of control cards, unless they are essential to your combo.
- No blankers please. Shriek and Dwarf Wizard have no need to be around for this one.
- No damage reducers. Do not bring Big E, Mera Global
- Static Field would be fine on a Green Lantern: Human Team, but would not be acceptable for just a defensive piece.
- No Force Attack Globals/Abilities if they serve to only remove something in the Field.
- We are trusting your discretion here for your builds.
In the interest of keeping this Event fun, a few global rules will be in effect. If you have any questions about these rules, please feel free to contact us. The following rules will be active during all matches:
- You cannot use Globals in a defensive manner. This means you cannot Static Field back an opposing attacker, Wallop does nothing, etc.
- You may use something like a Force Block Global if it is integral to your Team (ie. Overcrush with Jerry Lawler), but you cannot use it defensively to remove a character from the Field.
- Vicious Struggle is only active during your turn. The effects do not carry over to your Opponent’s turn. This is to balance it somewhat against combat heavy Teams.
Remember that the point of this event is to swing fast and hard. Keep it fun by building your Team for that T3 win mentality. Don’t worry about control or defense. Just have fun.
Proxy dice and cards are allowed under the following conditions:
- Action dice proxies must match the energy and burst faces exactly.
- Character dice proxies must have the same symbols, stats, and energy type as the original die. For example, AVX Black Widow could be used in place of AI Black Widow as they are identical dice.
- Cards can be freely proxied, as long as it is clear to your Opponent what you are using.
The plan is to play your Team on Saturday, July 11, 2020, starting around 9:00 PM Eastern Time. We will be starting off the night on our very own Twitch Channel. Join the chat and we will set up pairings there. You can find the link to the Twitch Stream here. Ideally, it would be nice to get 3-4 Rounds of Play in… but we will see what happens. My hope is that this Format is actually quick enough that we can run it in a Round Robin Format instead of Swiss. It will ultimately depend on numbers.
Matches will be 35 minutes long to avoid slogs. If the game is tied when time is called, the game will go to 5 turns with the active player being Turn Andy (or Turn Zero if you want). The player with the most life at the end of Turns will be the winner. I am not anticipating any games to reach time for this one.
Looking forward to seeing you there. Thanks for reading and feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
Best of luck!
– Dice Masters North