Hello Dice Masters! Welcome back for the third installment of the TOTM fro 2020. I left a little not so subtle clue at the end of the previous month’s results article as to the theme for this month. If you picked up on it… congratulations! You know what you are in for this month. If not… maybe have another quick skim of the MODMGE TOTM.
For those that are unfamiliar with the TOTM, here is what you need to know:
- You will be given specific parameters for a Team Build for the given month.
- A “fun play night” will be set when people will be welcome to gather and play their Teams themselves for the competition.
This competition will be open worldwide, and anyone is welcome to join. The submission deadline for this month will be 10:00 PM Mountain Time on March 27, 2020. Submissions should be filled out on the TOTM Team Submission Form. This is not a hard deadline, but the more notice I have, the better I can get things set up.
Here is the challenge for March 2020:
This is something that we ran locally a few years ago, but never made it into the TOTM Rotation for some reason. With March being the third month of the year, I saw no better time than now to dust it off. Let me present to you…
What is this?
- You start the game with 7 Sidekicks and 1 Limited Wish die. The Limited Wish die starts the game in the Transition Zone (below the Used Pile, as per usual). Both players will be rolling 3 dice on their first turn.
- Your Team will include Limited Wish: Lesser Spell (from Battle for Faerun) on it (with no dice on the card). You only get one lamp here.
- You will also have 3 characters on your Team with a purchase cost of 7 or greater. Each of these characters can only have 1 die on them (regardless of “max dice” designation).
- You cannot purchase these characters directly. You can only “wish” them in with Limited Wish.
So, half of your Team is made up of the lamp and the three characters you would like to wish for. The only way to get these big characters is to roll your Limited Wish die on an action face, and then roll the wished die on a character face.
As a result of this, the very first rule we are going to make here is how Limited Wish interacts with things that interact with Action Dice. For this TOTM, it doesn’t. Limited Wish is no longer an action die. It is a “special” die. Things that prevent you from using action dice (ie. Scarlet Witch) will NOT affect Limited Wish. On the flip side, things that trigger from you using an Action Die (ie. Attune) will NOT trigger from using Limited Wish. The purpose of Limited Wish here is to get to your big characters and things like Switch remove the fun. Bring it if you want, but it will have no effect on Limited Wish.
Can you use the Acererak Global to reroll Limited Wish? No. Since Limited Wish is no longer an Action Die in this Format, the Acererak Global has no effect on it.
For your big characters, as you are allowed only one die per character, we have to prevent the shenanigan abuse here. For the purposes of this TOTM, character 7+ cost cannot be copied by anything. Mimic & Doppelganger will have to play with the lower cost characters for this Event. This also include Ms. Hope Summers. She cannot gain the abilities of any potential gigantic X-men characters here.
When you have wished your last character into the game, your Limited Wish card is effectively blank. It cannot be used to wish any other dice into the game beyond the 3 you chose to build your Team with.
There are no outright bans for this Format, but the following limitations will be in place:
- Your 7+ cost characters can be chosen from all Golden Cards.
- Your other characters and actions (including BAC’s) must be Modern, and must be 6 cost or less.
- Stompa: Bik Mek’s ability CANNOT be used to return wished dice back to their cards. (Added 27/03/2020)
- In fact, no abilities that return dice to their cards have any effect on the wished characters. Once they are in the game, they are in the game. (Added 27/03/2020).
- The characters that you would “wish” for cannot be brought in by Rare Collector’s ability (or any equivalent ability). (Added 27/03/2020)
Please be aware, that we at Dice Masters North are instituting the following card Erratas for all of our TOTM Events:
- Shriek – Sonic Beam: Shriek gains, “Impulse – Lose 10 life.” I am sorry. I hate this card with every fiber of my being. Instead of banning it outright, I am going to severely handicap anyone who chooses to bring it.
- God Catcher – Famous Walking Statue: I originally had an errata planned for this, but after some discussion I will let it roam free. If it becomes a problem, we will be fixing it for our Tournaments instead of outright banning it. For now, it works as it is written.
Proxy dice and cards are allowed under the following conditions:
- Action dice proxies must match the energy and burst faces exactly. The exception to this rule for this TOTM only is Limited Wish. You may use any action die to sub in for it if you do not have it. Remember though, that Limited Wish only have 2 generic energy on it’s energy faces.
- Character dice proxies must have the same symbols, stats, and energy type as the original die. For example, AVX Black Widow could be used in place of AI Black Widow as they are identical dice.
- Cards can be freely proxied, as long as it is clear to your Opponent what you are using.
The plan is to play your Team on Saturday, March 28, 2020, starting around 7:00 PM Mountain Time (9:00 PM Eastern). We will be starting off the night on our very own Twitch Channel. Join the chat and we will set up pairings there. You can find the link to the Twitch Stream here. Ideally, it would be nice to get 3-4 Rounds of Play in… but we will see what happens.
Matches will be 30 minutes long to avoid slogs. If the game is tied when time is called, the game will go to 5 turns with the active player being Turn Andy (or Turn Zero if you want). The player with the most life at the end of Turns will be the winner.
Looking forward to seeing you there. Thanks for reading and feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
Best of luck!
– Dice Masters North