Hello Dice Masters! Welcome back for a special crossover TOTM Event. This month we will be working with the Ross from The Weekly Dice Arena to bring you a month’s worth of goodies. Before we get to the details, let’s get the basics out of the way.
For those that are unfamiliar with the TOTM, here is what you need to know:
- You will be given specific parameters for a Team Build for the given month.
- A “fun play night” will be set when people will be welcome to gather and play their Teams themselves for the competition.
This competition will be open worldwide, and anyone is welcome to join. The submission deadline for this month will be 6:00 PM Mountain Time on March 22, 2019. There are two Forms you will need to fill out in order to participate.
The Registration Form can be found here. You will need to fill this out BEFORE the competition you are entering.
At the end of the night, you will also need to fill out a Reporting Form in order to get credit for your Achievements. This Form needs to be submitted within 24 hours in order to get credit. You can find the link here.
Here is the challenge for March 2019:
As I said earlier, we are teaming up with The Weekly Dice Arena to bring you a month long TOTM extravaganza! Let me present to you…
What is this?
This is as close to a “free-for-all” as it will come for the TOTM. You can build whatever you want… sort of. Instead of building a Team just to beat your Opponent to death with, you will also need to build it to navigate a series of Challenges. These will be all over the map.
- Some are character based, where you need to include a certain character as an integral part of your Team.
- Some will be win based, where you need to win a game in a certain way.
- Some will be building based, where you must follow a strict set of parameter to build your Team with.
- And finally, some will be game play based, where you need to perform something in order to score points.
Points? Well, yes… this is all points driven. Here is how you will score points:
- +5 points for showing up to one of the events. We are still rewarding Community Participation here.
- +3 Points for a Win.
- +2 Points for a Bounty Win. The previous week’s winner will have a bounty placed on them. If you defeat them, you will score additional points on the night. In the event the previous weeks winner does not show up to the next week, the next highest ranked player will be targeted.
- +1 point for a tie.
- +10 points for each challenge you complete. You can only complete a challenge once, and will not score additional points on subsequent completions.
Here’s where the catch comes in. The challenge points have a “floating” value. The more people that complete a given challenge will lower the overall value of the points. So, the easy challenges will not be worth too much in the long run. There is no limit to the amount of challenge points you can score in a week. Part of the challenge is building a Team that can tick multiple boxes at once.
Everything is fair game in this one. You will be able to build from the full selection of Golden Cards. The only bans that are in place will be:
- Swords of Revealing Light – BAC
- Relentless – BAC
As for the specific challenges, here is what you want to try and accomplish:
Win Based Challenges
- Win a game through non-combat damage only without using any Super rares, Rare cube or VS
- Win a game when you have 5 or less life remaining
- Win a game only using combat damage, without using Overcrush
- Win a game using only cards with blank text boxes
- Defeat your Opponent without doing more than 20 damage
- Win a game without taking any damage
Team Building Based Challenges
- Build a Team that is Modern legal
- Build a Team consisting of only Common Cards (No TMT Hulk)
- Build a Team consisting of only Uncommon Cards (No GAF Gorilla Grodd)
- Build a Team consisting of only Rare Cards (No GOTG Cosmic Cube)
- Build a Team consisting of only Super Rare Cards
- Build a Team consisting of only Organized Play (Blue Stripe) Cards (No Alternate Art Cards)
- All 10 cards must have a Global Ability. You must use each Global Ability at least once in a single game
- Build a Team with no 0 Fielding Cost Characters and no way to discount Fielding Costs (No Satchel)
- Build a Team of all 6+ Cost characters (No Collector, Professor X, or Limited Wish)
- Build a Team with no duplicate purchase costs (excluding BAC)
- Build a Team with no more than 1 vowel in the Title (Vowels may repeat). For example, Batman is ok while Batgirl is not.
- Build a Team with only 8 dice (No Super Rares)
Game Play Challenges
- Purchase all of you dice (must have a 20 dice Team, no Fabrication)
- Play an entire game without adding dice to your Prep Area (excluding KO’ed dice)
- Purchase your dice in numerical order (All 2’s, then 3’s, then 4’s etc. You don’t have to buy every die). You must purchase ALL of your dice of a given value before moving on to the next one. This counts your BAC dice as well.
- Roll 10 dice at once in the Roll and Re-roll Step (No Professor X, SR Darkseid, or Mimic)
- Have 8 different dice (not including Sidekicks) in your Field Zone
- Have all 8 of your Sidekick Dice in the Field at the same time
- Play an entire game without fielding a Sidekick
- Play an entire game without using a Global Ability (Your team must include at least 1 Global)
- Have 3 copies of a single character in the Field, with each one at a different level
- Play an entire game without re-rolling your dice
- Play an entire game where you Field every character that rolls a character face
- Play a game without using an Action Die (or Global Ability on an Action Die)
- Never field a non-Sidekick on Level 1 for the entire game
Character Based Challenges
These characters were randomly selected from the Team Builder. They must be an integral part of your Team Build. They cannot just be tossed on to score points. If you cannot defend your reason for including them, you may not score the points. This will be at the TO’s discretion.
- BFU Foetid Bloat-Drone – Plague Probe
- JUS The Joker – New and Shiny
- AI Black Panther – Look Homeward
- HHS Leatherhead – Exposed to Mutagen
- TMT Absorbing Man – Carl “Crusher” Creel
- BAT Big Barda – Hell Hath No Fury
- CW Thor – Boom!
- WOL Supergirl – Enraged
- DP Black Bolt – King of the Inhumans
- FUS Drizzt – The Exile
- YGO Time Wizard – Time Roulette
- ASM White Tiger – Razor Sharp
Schedule-wise, things will be a little different this time around. We will still be running our portion of the even on a Saturday evening. It will be the usual start time of 9:00 PM Eastern (no more Mountain conversion for you guys). It will be on March 23, starting in the usual place. You can find the link here for the Hangouts Room. Ideally, it would be nice to get 3-4 Rounds of Play in… but we will see what happens.
The Weekly Dice Arena runs every Tuesday night, starting at 9:00 PM Eastern as well. For the month of March, The WDA will be participating in this Achievement League and your points will be cumulative between all 5 weeks.
Matches will be 30 minutes long to avoid slogs. If the game is tied when time is called, the game will go to 5 turns with the active player being Turn Andy (or Turn Zero if you want). The player with the most life at the end of Turns will be the winner.
Finally, with regards to out TOTM Leaderboard… For this month, Leaderboard Points will only be scored for the actual games played on our Saturday (for consistency). As well, we will award points to the overall standings at the end of the Achievement League.
Looking forward to seeing you there. Thanks for reading and feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
Best of luck!
– Dice Masters North & The Weekly Dice Arena